this is one of our favorite pressure cooker meals!
Bacon Braised Short Ribs
- 5 strips bacon
- 3 to 4 pounds bone in short ribs, trimmed of excess fat (we will use country style ribs next time)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp cornstarch, whisked into 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp butter
- With the cooker's lid off, heat bacon on brown until nearly crispy. Remove bacon, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Sprinkle short ribs with a generous amount of salt and pepper, and add to the bacon grease to brown on both sides. May need to do in batches.
- Add chopped bacon and remaining ingredients, except cornstarch and butter, and securely lock the pressure cooker's lid. Set the cooker for 35 minutes on high.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before performing quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Transfer the cooked ribs to a platter and set the cooker to brown. Bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture into the liquid and cook for 2 minutes, until thickened. Stir in butter and a little salt and pepper if needed.